Friday, January 6, 2012

Bronchitis Symptoms and Treatment

Bronchitis is a disease of the respiratory system wherein there is inflammation of the mucous membrane of the bronchial passages in the lungs. As the inflamed membrane becomes swollen and thicker, it results in narrowing or shutting off the tiny air passages inside the lungs, causing protracted spells of coughing along with breathlessness and phlegm. Bronchitis can be categorized into two types: acute bronchitis, which does not last more than six weeks; and chronic bronchitis, which recurs frequently for over two years. Plus, people afflicted with asthma also have inflammation of the bronchial tube lining, which is known as asthmatic bronchitis.

Common Bronchitis Symptoms

The symptoms of infectious bronchitis usually starts with the characteristics of a common cold, which includes a runny nose, followed by a sore throat, chilliness, muscular and aches, and general fatigue. When the affected person begins coughing, which at first is usually dry, it indicates the onset of acute bronchitis. If a virus causes the bronchitis, some white colored mucous is usually coughed up. When this mucous changes in color to yellow or green, it signifies that the condition has become complicated due to a bacterial infection.

When the bronchitis attack is severe, usually there is also fever of 101 degrees to 102 degrees F, which can last for 3-5 days, despite being treated with antibiotics. The coughing, however, usually persists even after the fever subsides, often lasting a number of weeks, sometimes even longer. The epithelial cells that line the bronchi can be damaged by viruses, which takes time for the body to repair.

One of the common symptoms of bronchitis is the hyper-reactivity of the air passages, which results in them narrowing, thus inhibiting airflow into the lungs. This can be triggered off by commonly occurring stimuli, such as inhaling dust and fumes, cold air, tobacco smoke, or even the smell of strong odors. In case the airflow impairment is severe, it causes shortness of breath as well as wheezing.

In a nutshell, the main bronchitis symptoms are:
  • A hacking, dry cough, that occurs frequently, accompanied by mucus.
  • Shortness of breath along with wheezing while breathing.
  • General fatigue and loss of energy.
  • Fever, which may occur.
Bronchitis Treatment

Most bronchitis cases cannot be treated effectively with antibiotics since it is usually caused by a viral infection. Hence, initial bronchitis treatment involves getting lots of rest, drinking plenty of liquids, avoiding irritants like fumes and smoke, being prescribed a bronchodilating medication and inhaler, and perhaps taking an over-the-counter cough medication.

Although, it is better not to use medications that suppress cough, since coughing helps in bringing out the mucus and removing irritants from the air passages and lungs. Therefore, use only enough cough medicine so that you are able to get the rest you need at night, and not to completely suppress the cough. In case your cough is very bad, or is the dry type that does not produce any mucus, your physician may prescribe a cough medication for you.

Plus, if your physician suspects that the bronchitis you have is due to a bacterial infection, he/she may prescribe an antibiotic. And, if you have chronic bronchitis or if you are a smoker, you may also be prescribed antibiotics to lower the chances of serious types of secondary infection. It is also advisable to consult with your doctor about getting vaccinated against pneumonia and taking the yearly flu shot.

People suffering from asthma, who get an attack of bronchitis, may be recommended asthma medications and an inhaler to help in reducing the inflammation and opening up the narrowed air
passages in the lungs.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this extremely informative article on asthmatic bronchitis treatment. I recently read about some bronchitis treatment on website called breathefree.com. I found it extremely helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julian from Eugene, Oregon. I was diagnosed of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in 2012 at the age of 63. I had been a heavy smoker, my symptoms started out with dry cough and shortness of breath, i ended up in the hospital, on a ventilator. I should have known it was coming, but like most smokers, thought it would never happen to me. My COPD got significantly worse and unbearable because of my difficulty catching breath. Last year, i started on a natural COPD Herbal therapy from NewLife Herbal Clinic, i read a lot of positive reviews from patients who used the treatment and i immediately started on it. I had great relief with this herbal treatment. I breath very much better now, no case of shortness of breath or chest tightness since treatment, my lungs condition is totally reversed. Visit NewLife Herbal Clinic website ww w. newlifeherbalclinic. com. This treatment is a miracle!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure of the cause of COPD emphysema in my case. I smoked pack a day for 12 or 13 years, but quit 40 years ago. I have been an outdoor person all my adult life. Coughing started last summer producing thick mucus, greenish tint to clear. I tried prednisone and antibiotics, but no change. X-rays are negative, heart lungs and blood and serum chemistries all are normal. I have lung calcification from childhood bout with histoplasmosis. I am 75 years old and retired.My current doctor directed me to totalcureherbsfoundation .c om which I purchase the COPD herbal remedies from them ,they are located in Johannesburg, the herbal treatment has effectively reduce all my symptoms totally, am waiting to complete the 15 weeks usage because they guaranteed me total cure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete